Thinks happen

Comments and journal pages.

20070530

Paul Desmond, Goodbye and thanks for the sounds...





Things ain't what they used to be. (In fact, they never was.)
The Profile (more than you really wanted to know) is
here.





Wikipedia says:
"Paul Desmond (25 November 1924 - 30 May 1977), born Paul Emil Breitenfeld, was a jazz alto saxophonist and composer born in San Francisco, perhaps best known for penning "Take Five" as a member of the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Paul was with the Dave Brubeck Quartet from 1951-1967, though he rejoined Brubeck in 1972, 1973 and 1975 for tours. Brubeck also worked with Desmond in 1946 in an octet."



When Paul Desmond died I sat in a dull black, wrought-iron chair in the middle of my back yard and cried. I still remember the loss and emptiness that I felt then.

I knew only press-release information of the man but the loss left my senses stunned. The loss of a personal friend could not have hurt more. It was the music, or more accurately his version of music, that I lamented really. There are few artists whose work can stimulate my senses and make emotions swell; Degas, Keillor, Goodman.

Paul Desmond was the best. And then he was gone.

The rest is HERE...

Here is a nice site on Brubeck.






These are
the most popular pages:
Alison Young
Art Pepper
Barney Kessel
Bettie Page
Curl-up-and-dye
Edgar Degas and the lost Ginger Nude
Ginger Panda
Gnat Trap
Little Annie Fannie
Marilyn
Resident Alien
Sunday Funnies





Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home