Thinks happen

Comments and journal pages.

20070821

Count Basie





You've never seen one of these...


Today in 1906 the world was presented with one of its finest heroes: William "Count" Basie. Sometimes things go just right.

I was able to see the legendary band with Basie four times. Once I carried the dummy LP record sleeve (above) with me and got autographs from most of the band. It includes Basie, Freddie Green, Charlie Fowlkes, Marshal Royal, Sonny Payne, Frank Wess, Al Grey, Joe Newman and another hero of mine, Joe Williams.

Some years after Mr. Basie died I attended a concert by the band under the direction of trombonist Grover Mitchell.

Here, from a 1937 broadcast, is a favorite cut. Favorite because it demonstrates a feature of the Basie organization, what someone called the "Four-Man Solo".

Of course, as usual, to the best of my knowledge you can't buy this anywhere. "I’ll Always Be In Love With You."
We lost Count Basie April 26, 1984 to pancreatic cancer.

Happy Birthday Mr. Basie...we really miss you.





Can anyone identify this painting? Is it Francois Schuiten? Looks like his work but can someone confirm it??
Click for larger version.



Yes, I refuse to use
Kleenex
until
THIS
stops.







Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home