Thinks happen

Comments and journal pages.

20070505

Miss Lindeman's Fourth Grade Class, 1947














Class 4th




“What kind of music do you like?”
“Do you play an instrument?”
“When do you find time to play all your records?”
“What started your interest in music?”

It’s a long story.

In fourth grade Miss Lindeman told the class, “Listen and see if you can hear the horses. Listen to this and imagine a gypsy dancing. Listen for the raindrops and the storm starting.” And we did.

It probably falls back to the trite old adage: “One must listen, not just hear.” Or something like that.

Lots of people hear music without really listening for the raindrops and the call to arms. Miss Lindeman told us to listen. She taught us that there was something in addition to the melody or the words. Treasures were hidden in those sounds.

So for those of us who really listen, we hear a painting, colors and feelings. The composer gathers his thoughts or the musician speaks to us. We experience layers and textures, emotions and ideas.

Most enjoy hearing music. Some only enjoy certain areas, country, jazz, classical. The Listener likes anything musical. Anything Musical.

Many people enjoy hearing songs with words so they can identify with the singer or the story being told. But for the Listener, it is a deeper experience. A Listener hears the music and sometimes knows the brand of the guitar playing, or when a breath was taken in a solo phrase. We know how hard a clarinet is to play. We know when a jazz artist has borrowed a bit of a solo from an old scratchy record. We hear the emotion coming from a breathy saxophone solo or thrill at the coda in a violin concerto.

Some hear a classical opus and find it quite satisfying. A Listener knows when a favorite classical overture is being played by a different orchestra or maybe led by a different conductor: a note held longer here, a cymbal a bit louder there.

Miss Lindeman taught us how to listen. Thanks, Miss Lindeman.
dad, music appreciation

Dad had an old 78RPM record changer perched atop the refrigerator. It couldn’t be reached by six year old hands. He played a Benny Goodman record, “Sometimes I’m Happy” and said, “Listen to the sax section.” And a six year old listened not knowing what a “sax” was, let alone the mysterious “section.”
Listening began.
Thanks, Dad.
The Record Collection, record shelves, music.

The main part of the LP record collection.



Yes, I refuse to use
Kleenex
until
THIS
stops.



Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:57:00 PM, Blogger Miss Trashahassee said…

    What a heartwarming post. It's quite obvious who played a role in establishing your appreciation of music.

    What's also obvious is your love for and appreciation of those who influenced you.

    Your words, the photographs, you couldn't have painted a clearer picture. I need a Kleenex!

    BFF,
    Miss T

     
  • At Saturday, May 05, 2007 11:30:00 PM, Blogger anyjazz said…

    Thanks miss trashahassee. I am glad I was able to convey the gratitude I feel to someone else.
    (I keep a roll of alternate brand tissue handy too.)

     
  • At Sunday, May 06, 2007 1:31:00 AM, Blogger Miss Trashahassee said…

    I meant "I need a tissue," not necessarily Kleenex brand -- kind of like when we say we need a Band-Aid, we're not always thinking of "Band-Aid Brand."

    After I saw your response I clicked on the Kleenex link in your post and read about Kimberly-Clark and the forests, etc., and now I understand. I've gotta do some more reading on that tomorrow, that's for sure! Thanks for including the link!

    BFF,
    Miss T

     
  • At Sunday, May 06, 2007 9:19:00 AM, Blogger anyjazz said…

    Good fer ewe. Yer my heroine!

    (I've always wanted to talk like that.)

     
  • At Friday, May 11, 2007 6:49:00 AM, Blogger Bill Blunt said…

    A fantastic posting - let's hear it for those teachers who have inspired us through our lives. I feel a meme coming on!

    Harry McFry gets his interest in jazz from his father, I think.

    Kind Regards

    THJnr

     
  • At Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:03:00 AM, Blogger Jesse said…

    Hi there,

    I started a website, and in the process of doing it, came upon the photo of the record shelves on this page. I thought I'd try it out and use it as a banner for my website, and as a general logo for the short stories I publish on it too. I'd like to formally get your permission to use this photograph, and have your real name in order to credit you:

    website url: http://www.bitterpres.com

    short stories, at the top of the downloadable PDF: http://www.bitterpress.com/short-fiction

    I ended up cropping the photo in order to make it fit the banner size properly, and cutting and duplicating the one on the short stories - I'd love to be able to credit you for the photograph.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home